Full-Time Assistant Food Service Manager
Under the supervision of the Food Service Manager, assists in planning menus, ordering supplies, and preparing meals for persons incarcerated in the Jail and Sheriff’s Office incidents. Assists in overseeing inmate workers assigned to food services duties. Assists in taking inventory of food and supplies.
Received: Food Service Manager
• Prepares meals in the jail, including assisting in the planning of menus and in the oversight of inmates who may be assigned work in the kitchen.
• Assists the board of health and fire department when inspections occur.
• Assists in oversight of the cost and quality of foods prepared.
• Assists in the self-inspection of the kitchen and food storage areas to assure that they are in compliance with sanitation and fire regulations.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisors.
• Takes inventory of commodities and prepares food order to be approved the by Food Service Manager.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Basic use of cooking knowledge.
• Knowledge and experience using kitchen equipment, including but not limited to: slicer, mixer, fryer, etc.
• Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and establish effective working relationships.
• Balances team and individual responsibilities: gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit.
• Volunteers readily and seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Police and/or corrections terminology and practices preferred.
• Food service regulations.
• Basic use of cooking and kitchen equipment.
• Basic cooking techniques.
• Plan menus consistent with nutritional standards, including menus for those with special dietary needs.
• Order commodities, and prepare meals in quantity.
• Perform duties in a confidential manner.
• Use tact and self-control.
• Operate calculator, computer
• Handle varying and often high levels of stress
• Moderate lifting, pushing, pulling, reaching and bending is involved.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
• Must be able to use a ladder.
• Work is normally performed in a standing position.
• Manual dexterity required is moderate.
• Effort exerted is minimal and for short, intermittent periods of time.
• Recurring work conditions exist which involve a chance of injury or loss of life.
• Work in close contact with inmates daily.
• Working environment is based in an industrial kitchen environment where safe work practices are extremely important
• Exposure to extreme temperatures, tight spaces, slippery floors, moving mechanical parts, sharp kitchen utensils, high noise levels and cleaning compounds is constant.
Education & Experience
• High School diploma or equivalent is required.
• Experience cooking in quantity is preferred.
• Preparing and purchasing commodities in quantity is preferred.
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• Must possess a valid Utah driver’s license.
• Must successfully pass and maintain all requirements of criminal history background checks.
• Successful completion of pre-employment drug screening is required.
• A twelve (12) month probationary period is a prerequisite to this position.
• Subject to on call status as needed during peak activity seasons and may include weekends and holidays.
• Requires rotating shift work and is subject to 24 hour call-out. Essential employees must respond to work when required by emergency situations. No guarantee is made as to time off, vacations, or shifts.
• Must obtain food handler’s permit within one month of hire.