Full-Time City Attorney
This position is responsible for performing administrative, professional and managerial duties as required to carry out the efficient and effective litigation of civil or criminal cases and the ongoing legal processes of city government. This position is also responsible for representing Syracuse City in all legal matters as a plaintiff or defendant.
- Promotes and follows the City’s mission statement, values and expectations.
- Serves as legal counsel to the City Manager, Mayor, City Council, departments, committees, and sub-committees; attends various meetings as required; prepares and reviews legal documents; monitors and reviews city-wide activities in general to assure compliance with statutory and other legal requirements.
- Prepares and/or reviews all city ordinances, resolutions, and contracts; coordinates with various departments, commissions, and committees as needed to accomplish specific goals and objectives related to legal compliance; directs and participates in the legal support of city code enforcement program- civil and criminal.
- Attends workshops and professional seminars to keep current on legal issues, researches criminal and civil case law; prepares draft opinions and legal memoranda; advises City on matters pending before the Utah State Legislature.
- Defends, as required, the City in all legal actions; pursues all civil actions as needed to establish city posture and/or defend the same; conducts extensive research, prepares case materials; participates in carious pretrial processes such as discovery, briefings and depositions; appears in court as City legal representative.
- Directs and participates in litigation, research, consultation, and negotiation in all civil cases or administrative hearings at which the City or any of its officers are involved; conducts research and drafting of all legal documents required by the City.
- Negotiates settlements of claims to save litigation expense and to facilitate termination; works with other City departments to collect overdue or unpaid obligations owed to the city.
- Receives request from department heads for changes or additions to existing City law; reviews recommendations and drafts laws into legal format before passage.
- Performs legislative lobbying duties as needed to communicate the interests of Syracuse and other Utah cities.
- Prepares and submits departmental budget; identifies personnel and equipment needs to maintain effective levels of legal services to the Mayor and Council, City departments and the community; monitors departmental expenditures to assure conformity to established budget and fiscal program.
- Perform prosecutor duties in the City’s Justice Court.
- Maintain a productive working environment which includes, but is not limited to, a spirit of cooperation with co-workers, peers and the public,
- Other duties as assigned by the City Manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
- Knowledge of legal terminology with emphasis on municipal law.
- Knowledge of legal administrative procedures, including the rules of civil and criminal procedure and evidence.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, materials and practices used in legal research.
- Knowledge of Utah Code, constitutional provisions, federal and local ordinances as they apply to city government and its operation.
- Knowledge of case law related to a variety of city government subjects.
- Knowledge of fiscal management and budget development.
- Ability to analyze and draft legal documents and to propose legislation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, hear and see. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, use hands to finger, handle or feel. Duties require sufficient mobility to work in a typical office setting and use standard office equipment; sustained posture in a seated position for prolonged periods of time. Specific vision requirements for this position include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moderately quiet in office settings.
- A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited college or university, plus four (4) years of progressively responsible legal experience in the public sector with emphasis on municipal law. Experience in land use law is preferred.
- Must possess a license to practice law in the State of Utah.